San Diego Burn Injury Attorneys
Burn injuries are among the most common household injuries, especially in children. The term “burn” means more than the burning sensation associated with this injury. Burns are characterized by severe skin damage in which many of the affected cells die. Depending on the cause and degree of injury, most people can recover from burns without serious health consequences. More serious burns require immediate emergency medical care to prevent complications and death.
One million people a year suffer burn injuries that require medical attention in the United States. Burn injuries are among the most traumatic personal injuries a person can suffer. Burn injury litigation involves highly complex legal issues. If you have suffered serious burns, you should contact a San Diego burn injury attorney to help you.
- Your burn injury attorney will determine if you have a valid claim for damages under California law. In handling your case, your attorney may:
- Gather and secure all relevant evidence, including fire department reports, police records, and photographs of the scene of the accident
- Review medical records and reports prepared by your treating physicians
- Work with medical experts to evaluate the extent of your injuries and the costs associated with any necessary future medical procedures or rehabilitation services
- Retain safety inspectors, electricians, or accident investigators to help establish the cause or causes of the accident and determine who may be held liable for your injuries
Burn injuries can result from negligence, defective products, fires, hot liquid scalds, gas explosions, occupational accidents, laser treatments, electrical burns and other causes. Victims may require extensive physical rehabilitation and need to stop working temporarily or permanently. If you or a loved one has been injured, it is important to find a skilled injury lawyer who can help you obtain the resources to make your best recovery.
Burns are generally classified by severity:
- First degree burns damage only the outer layer of skin.
- Second degree burns damage the outer layer and underneath.
- Third degree burns damage or destroy the deepest layer of skin and tissues underneath.
Burns have a variety of causes, including:
- scalding from hot, boiling liquids
- chemical burns
- electrical burns
- fires, including flames from matches, candles, and lighters
- excessive sun exposure
The type of burn is not based on the cause of it. Scalding, for example, can cause all three burns, depending on how hot the liquid is and how long the skin makes contact. Chemical and electrical burns warrant immediate medical attention because they can affect the inside of the body, even if skin damage is minor.
The medical costs involved in treating burn injuries are significant and are one of the most expensive types of injuries to treat. They often involve repeat hospitalizations for reconstruction surgeries such as skin grafting, as well as physical therapy and rehabilitation. Serious burn injuries can also take a toll on a person’s self image due to the scarring they will have to endure for the rest of their lives and therefore they often require counseling to help overcome these mental issues.
The experienced burn injury lawyers in San Diego at the law offices of Howard A. Kitay can help you carefully assess the full extent of your damages. Our personal injury lawyers fight to help you pursue the full amount of compensation you will need to recover from your injury.
In burn injury lawsuits, our experienced accident lawyers generally seek the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Emotional distress
- Physical pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
If you or a loved one has suffered from a burn injury in San Diego, please contact the law offices of Howard A. Kitay today to schedule your free initial consultation a burn injury attorney in San Diego. Call us today at 619-578-2222.