Auto Accident Lawyer San Diego
Auto accidents are unexpected and stressful. Even the most careful drivers may be involved. If you are in an accident, the San Diego car accident attorneys at the law offices of Howard A. Kitay are committed to helping restore your peace of mind as soon as possible.
Auto accident claims are the leading source of personal injury cases in the United States. Roughly half of all car accidents result in injury claims and a considerable number of those become lawsuits.
Car accidents usually happen because one driver was at fault. The theory of fault is usually negligence, meaning that the driver failed to act reasonably in the operation of his or her vehicle. A driver is required to drive in the way that a reasonably prudent person would drive. A driver cannot drive in such a way as to needlessly endanger other motorists and pedestrians. In other words, drivers must drive at a safe speed. If they do not, it is considered negligence.
Automobile accidents happen in a variety of ways under many different circumstances. Unique issues of negligence and liability apply to each accident types. Types of automobile accidents may include:
- Rear-end collisions – a traffic accident wherein a vehicle crashes into the vehicle in front of it. Common factors that contribute to rear-end collisions include by driver inattention or distraction, tailgating, panic stops, and reduced traction due to weather or worn pavement.
- Head-on accidents – where the front ends of two vehicles hit each other in opposite directions.
- Side-impact and T-bones – or broadside crash. These occur when a vehicle is struck in a side panel, typically by another car approaching from a sideways direction. These accidents can be extremely dangerous due to the lack of safety structures in the doors, and the proximity of the occupants’ bodies to the point of impact.
- Pedestrians hit by cars – can occur when pedestrians cross the road.
- Multiple vehicle accidents – involve many vehicles. Generally occurring on high-capacity and high-speed routes such as freeways, they are one of the deadliest forms of traffic accidents.
- Hit and runs or leaving the scene – act of causing a traffic accident and failing to stop and identify oneself afterwards.
- Parking lot accidents – usually occurring in a non-residential or commercial parking lot.
- Minor collisions or fender benders
- Semi-truck or 18 wheeler accidents – large commercial trucks that usually cause accidents occurring on the freeways or highways.
- DUI accidents – driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Drunk driving accidents often cause death or serious injury to the driver, passengers, or other motorists.
What to do after an auto accident?
- Seek medical treatment. It is critical that you visit with a doctor as soon as possible after your car accident. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, it is a good idea to seek treatment in the event that you begin to experience new or worsening symptoms over the days following your accident.
- Contact the police, even if the accident is minor. A police report may help you with your case. The police report will provide a summary of the way the accident occurred and will identify the parties and the witnesses.
- Obtain witnesses. Retain the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take photos of the accident scene. If you happen to have a camera in your vehicle, or a cell phone equipped with a camera, you should take pictures of the vehicles if there is visible damage. If you have visible injuries, you should photograph them as well. If you cannot take pictures at the scene of the accident, take them as soon as possible after the accident.
- Contact an experienced San Diego Auto Accident attorney at the law offices of Howard A. Kitay to report your claim and set up a free initial legal consultation. Your attorney can protect your rights and make sure valuable evidence is not destroyed. Often, insurance companies want to take statements immediately after an accident. It is important that you have received legal advice before providing such a statement. Your attorney can advise you issues ranging from how to make sure you are fully compensated for your vehicle to how to make sure you are getting the best medical treatment available.
Why hire an experienced San Diego auto accident attorney?
Insurance companies are in business to make money, not pay claims. Their interest is in their bottom lines, not in helping you. That is why you need someone protecting you and making sure you don’t get taken advantage of. We handle all the paperwork and legal issues and work to get your case settled quickly so you can get back to your normal life.
Demand the kind of representation you deserve. For over two decades the attorneys at the law offices of Howard A. Kitay have helped car accident victims in San Diego. We hold careless drivers, and their insurance companies, accountable.
Our experienced auto accident attorneys have helped San Diego auto accident victims with injuries ranging from minor cuts, scrapes and bruises to more severe, catastrophic injuries. We investigate cases and consult with highly qualified medical, engineering and accident reconstruction specialists. You may be able to recover compensation if you have suffered any of these damages:
- Lost wages (past and future income)
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
- Medical expenses
If you or a loved one has been in an auto accident caused by another driver or suffered a wrongful death in a vehicle accident, our San Diego car accident attorneys can help you recover the compensation you deserve. Your family may be entitled to compensation for the loss of your family member’s care and companionship, funeral expenses and the mental anguish you have suffered. Contact us today at 619-578-2222.